Harwell

Harwell is located in an area of outstanding natural beauty and is home to over 7,000 trees and species of rare birds and wildflowers. An ecology plan is integrated into the estate management so we can nurture this rich plant and animal life. The site opened in 1946 as the headquarters of the UK civil nuclear research programme, and was in use until the early 1990s. Now, the decommissioning programme is restoring the environment and releasing land for commercial development as part of the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus.

The site is just off the A34 in south Oxfordshire, within short travelling distance of a number of major towns and cities, including Oxford, Swindon and Reading. There are excellent transport links, with the M4 motorway giving excellent road access to London to the east and Bristol to the west. The nearest town is Didcot, with access to the main train line between London and South Wales, and there is also quick access to a number of airports. This means a wide variety of activities and places to live are open to you.

Currently, the Harwell Operational Unit is based in what was originally the RAF Harwell Guardhouse, although there are plans to move into a newly built Police Station in late 2009.